SCK•CEN is an expertise centre providing advice for the authorities in all safeguards matters, as foreseen in its statutory mission. Currently, the Safeguards programme of SCK•CEN includes:
- Nuclear metrology, specifically:
- R&D on safeguards approaches for present/future nuclear installations, through safeguards-by-design studies, proliferation resistance and vulnerability analyses, in particular for Gen IV type reactors, geological repositories and gas centrifuge enrichment plants;
- Participation in the activities of ESARDA (European Safeguards Research and Development Association);
- Technical support and advice for the Authorities in matters of verification of nuclear materials;
- The Belgian Support Programme to the International Atomic Energy Agency for safeguards implementation, taking care of its management and execution;
- Decision-support tools for safeguards inspection elements and for other applications;
- Education and training in safeguards.
These activities take place in close contact with national and international institutions, such as
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- European Commission DG Energy (DG-ENER or Euratom)
- European Safeguards Research and Development Association (ESARDA)
- Universities (ULB Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Uppsala Universitet) and research institutes (IRMM, Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements)
- Industry (GdF-Suez)
In addition, we work in close contacts with Federal Authorities, Associated federal organizations, e.g. Federal Agency for Nuclear Control (FANC), Belgian Agency for Radioactive Waste and Enriched Fissile Materials (NIRAS/ONDRAF), and Regional Authorities.
Additional information on: